Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 2 Alpine Ca to Jacumba Ca 52 mi 3 seperate 4500 ft ascents 103 deg

This day was not for the faint of heart. Up an down and up and down again, etc. Wanted to leave at dawn, but I plugged my cel into a switched outlet that was in the off position, so I had to wait until I had at least half a charge, a rookie mistake I paid for by biking in the midday heat for an hour longer. I was going to change my route today by going northeast to Julian, but the owner of The Alpine Brewery who is in a local biking club said that even though Julian was 4500 ft I would be climbing to 6000 ft on that routing, thanks for the info. Biking up the Starved Rock hill really does not prepare you for the climbs of today. They figuratively kicked my ass. Can I say that as a Luthern? Sorry, Pastor Kenyon.
I caught up with Tim and Fay from Pratt Ks in Jacumba, I met them on tuesday as they started a X USA, and we will be riding together tomorrow to Brawley about 70 miles, leaving at dawn. Thanks to Chris Prazen for showing me how to post pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Check this out! Bob was in the paper http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/local/default.asp?article=29739&aname=Oglesby+man+sets+off+on+cross%2Dcountry+mission

    ReplyDelete