Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 4 Brawley to Blyth Ca 88.5 mi 114 deg 11 hr

This temperature is relentless, especially by 10pm. Rode with Tim and Fay today, started at 3:30 am since this would be a long day, and it was. With lights on we started, one hour later I got a flat and fixed it in the dark. The sunrise over The Dunes Wilderson Area was pretty. Starting temp was 80 deg, starting at 10:00 it went up 10 degrees an hour. Hydrate, Hydrate, and Hydrate some more. I consumed mass quantities of liquids, an unbelievable amount about 400 ounces, had to carry it all. I actually felt pretty good, but hot. Water, Gatoraid, and Gu Shots (an energy gel). Tim had enough at Palo Verde and they stopped for the day. I cannot believe he made it that far with a very heavy load pulling a bike trailer with camping gear. Tim and Fay were great, good luck, I forgot to take your picture. The time above includes all stops and the temp is from my bike speedometer, which at one time read higher, but it was in the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob,

    I hadn't known about your planned trip and just happened to read about it on Thurs. on the News Tribune website. Sorry we missed you in San Diego. It sounds like you're up for a great adventure and look forward to following your blog.

    What a great tribute to our cousin, John. I always remember him talking about biking here in San Diego and running into him as he rode by on his way to Cabrillo Monument.

    Wishing you all the best on your trip!

    Christy (Prazen) Patskan
    (Tony Prazen's daughter)

    ReplyDelete