Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 6 Salome Az to Wickenburg Az 53 mi 6hr 98 deg

Started out at 5am in the dark. Three buses were waiting at a service station, they looked like school buses, then I saw the migrant workers. Where were they going, nothing but cactus around here. Just after dawn, a large cat like figure crossed the road in front of me, too big for a bobcat, could it be a mountain lion? After the town of Aguila, I came upon an area of irrigated fields and I found the migrants I saw at 5am picking muskmelons which I could smell from the road.
It seems like every few miles there is a RV park out in the middle of no where. I think this area could get relatively busy in January. There are long stretches of nothing as far as I could see, or as Kay would say "it's so far out that the owls mate with the chickens", in slightly more colorful language. Mostly long uphill for over 40 miles, nothing noteworthy to take a picture of. The fastest rider from Adventure Cycling group caught up with me after I stopped for breakfast. We rode together for a while then he took off like a flash on his recumbent, young showoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment