Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A lot has happened

Last Wednesday I brought my bike to the Bike Works in Peru to have a tune up and packed up to take with me on Southwest Airlines, it cost only $50.00 with SWA in contrast to $150.00 with UPS.  Boy am I glad I did.  The chain was worn out and had to be replaced (about 2800 miles) and I had everything adjusted including new tires.  Someone from Ladd called the News Tribune with a news tip about the trip and a reporter and photographer were there to get pictures and the story, it should be in the newspaper this week.

Monday morning Kay and I got up at 2:00 am to go to the airport, everything seemed ok, then it happened.  I started to get a sharp pain in my mouth, huh!  I had to suck on ice the whole way to San Diego for the pain and even ibuprofen didn't help.  The flight attendent gave me some motrin and that finally did some good.

When I arrived in SAN, I retreived my bike and dragged the box outside to start reassembly.  It took about an hour and a couple of hairy eyeballs from the security people before the bike was ready.  I biked to the Pacific Beach area of San Diego where the ride will start tomorrow and where my cousin Ray was going to pick me up in the afternoon.  While I was waiting, I decided to see if a dentists office was near and maybe I could get in.  I found one on Mission Blvd. and walked in to ask.  The dentist would see me in about 20 minutes and as it turned out we had something in common, he was an avid biker.  He asked me about the trip and seemed interested that it was for the American Cancer Society.  Well, after x-rays and examination he said I needed a root canal, which he promptly made an appointment for me with an orthodonist the next morning.  Dr.  Andrew DeMeyer, you one of a kind, thank you so much for treating me and then saying that it was free as your way of supporting this trip, unbelievable. 

This morning I got the root canal done, but this doctor was not a bike enthusiast.  I'm a little sore, hot and cold liquids are ok, but any eating on the right side causes pain.  I will be going tomorrow, maybe biking will take my mind off of my mouth. 

4 comments:

  1. Good luck dad! You can do it! Wish I was there to wish you off, or ride the first leg with you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had your tooth fixed before you started! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Are you by yourself or are your biking with a group?

    Dawn Patten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted pictures of Bob's send off at http://www.facebook.com/chrisprazen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is not wonderful about the root canal - sorry to hear about that! But awesome the one dentist contributed to your goal - Stay safe Bob!

    ReplyDelete