Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 12 Safford Az to Lordsburg Nm 79.4 mi 8 hr 96 deg

Two 80 mile days in a row, thank goodness the next two are "only" 60's. Still a headwind but only 5-10 mph as advertised. I sprinted the last 15 miles into Lordsburg, the last thing I wanted to do after riding 65 miles, I could see the convective activity from a thunderstorm to the west moving my way with rain falling below. There was only one town in the middle of todays ride at the halfway point on either side, it was 20 miles to civilation or water, you have to be prepared. Yesterday I met up with some Adventure Cycling people again probably for the last time, they are following the map and I'm freelancing until Biloxi when I get back on the Adventure route again.
I took a picture of a dead rattler today, yesterday I almost ran over the same type while riding. A small lizard came running into the road closely followed by a 3 foot snake, I yelled and the snake stopped or I would have run him over. He lifted his head up, but I was going pretty fast and by him in a flash, thank goodness. While I was taking the dead snake picture today, a crow on a telephone pole was cawing, he probably thought I was going to take his breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment