Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 20 Hobbs Nm to Lamesa Tx 72.5 mi 7 hr 78 deg

What a difference a day makes. West of Hobbs everything was oil. Crossing into Tx just east of Hobbs there were still oil pumps, but much more agriculture. The irrigation is done with huge circular wheeled systems as opposed to Az with open canals. The fields not irrigated look very different due to the drought, see attached picture. In places the red dirt from the fields has blown onto the road. The main crop appears to be cotton, but I saw a couple of peanut companies also.
I did not have very much breakfast, so when I got to Seminole and saw the golden arches I consumed a big lunch just after 10:30a. The trip from Seminole to Lamesa was 42 miles long with no towns or services. I'm looking foreword to the next two sixty mile days after consecutive days of 90, 80, and 70 miles. I just wish I could get some help from the wind. Basically every day has been a head or cross wind, a 20 mph west Texas tail wind would be great. I have a dream of clicking off 120 miles in 6 hours, but would settle for a century at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment