Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 35 Mobile Al to Pace Fl 75.1 mi 8.5 hr

It took me about 30 minutes to reach downtown Mobile with lights on in the dark, more traffic than I thought there would be at 6:30a. I missed a turn and had to use my iPhone for directions and forgot that one foot was locked into my pedal and fell down into a curb as I stopped, the first mishap for the trip. Decisions, decisions. The tunnel from downtown to Battleship Pkwy did not look very big with a very small walkway going down to the tunnel opening. I walked my bike down, but at the tunnel opening the walkway ended. As I was trying to figure out how to turn around and get out of here, I didn't see any cars and I knew the alternate bridge was a long way out of my way, so I decided to go for it. I peddled as fast as I could for 3/4 of a mile, only two cars came up from behind. I took the preceding photo of the Bankhead Tunnel after exiting. If you can read the small white sign it says no pedestrians or bicycles allowed. Either that sign was missing on the other side or I missed it, oh well. The battleship was very neat along with a B52 and numerous other planes, etc. on display. The ride along the bay was refreshingly different from any of my days thus far. I'm staying with Jim and Barb Grey for a days rest in Pace in their very lovely home on a golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment