Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 23 Snyder Tx to Graham Tx 75.3 mi 6 hr 82 deg

I stopped and talked to a cattle rancher as he was closing his gate. He told me they got 5 plus inches of rain two days ago, the first rain they have had in 7 months. A waitress told me yesterday the whole cotton crop was wiped out, they don't irrigate in this "Big Country" area. To double the trouble, they also had forest fires the evidence which I can see from the road. The forest consists mostly of mesquite trees that grow everywhere out here, but only reach about 15 feet high.
The twenty foot tall iron bull picture says it all about what is "king" in this county. I had chicken fried chicken (not a misprint) for supper, I'll have to explain it in person for those not familiar with this dish. Two more days till a much needed rest.

1 comment:

  1. What, no chicken fried steak? I thought that you were in beef country. Bob, I read your posts every morning and I am really enjoying them. I am very impressed with your ride. Keep up the good work.
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete