Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 18 Cloudcroft Nm to Artesia Nm 95.3 mi 8.5 hr 82 deg

Left Cloudcroft at 7:30a temp. 38 deg. I piled on most of my clothes, the only thing that got cold were my hands with gloves on. As I descended it finally started to warn up with the sun getting higher and elevation lower. The anticipation of a 5000 descent was mostly accomplished in the first 40 miles, the balance of the ride was boring and typical New Mexico. At the Runyan Apple Orchard as I departed the mountain valley for the high plains, I stopped for an apple. A nice man and his wife who knew the orchard owners gave me one of his apples to eat and one to go, boy were they delicious. I took off, but 5 miles down the road I got another flat. As I was changing the the tire, the same man stopped his pickup and asked if I wanted a ride to Artesia. I looked at the pickup and momentarily thought about it. I thanked the man, but told him that would be cheating. As he left, he reminded me that there is no cel coverage out here. Thanks! I biked the remaining 45 miles as usual. A long and tiring ride today, but my personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment