Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 16 Las Crusis Nm to Alamogordo Nm 68.3 mi 6.5 hr mild temp

A very interesting day. At McDonalds I talked to two older gentlemen and inquired about the road ahead. They confirmed what I already knew, once you leave the Las Crusis area there are no services until Alamogordo about 60 miles. I also stopped at a Subway and picked up a sandwich for lunch.
The morning started with a 2000 foot 12 mile climb then it got easier. At the St. Augustin Pass the winds were a mixture of strong, gusty, swirling, and crosswinded. I put on my jacket and gloves and got ready for the 12 mile white knuckle downhill. At first I rode on the shoulder, but that got too dangerous as the winds wanted to push me into the guard rail so I moved to the outside lane, I didn't think anyone would mind sine I was doing 40 mph the whole way down. I would rate the ride down as somewhere between an 8 to 9 out of 10 on the Pucker Scale. At the bottom of the hill signs said that I was now in the White Sands Missile Range which lasted for about 25 miles.
I got my third flat about midway to Alamogordo, another steel belt wire in the tire which I probably picked up on Int. 10. I stopped at the third border patrol checkpoint since I left San Diego and ate my lunch there. I was asked if I was a US citizen. What self respecting illegal would be caught in spandex biking in the desert? For about 90 minutes I had a quartering tail wind and finally saw my speed in the low 20's.
At Holloman AFB I got a real surprise, the Thunderbirds were practicing for an upcoming airshow, the came right over my head before I saw them. I had to watch for about an hour before going into Alamogordo.

1 comment:

  1. It amazed me how much of nothing was out there during my cross country ride last spring. I had a lot of support with Woman Tours and followed the Adventure Cycling Southern Tier route. Will find your pictures and descriptions interesting.Hats off to you for doing this on your own.

    ReplyDelete